I think we all know the feeling when Winter is over; the weather starts to be sunny and warmer, but somehow it’s hard to get up in the morning and we are like lunatics…The best term for this condition: Spring Fever. But how could that happen? Nature is renewing yet we are so tired. Why?
is the term used for the physical and psychological symptoms associated with the arrival of spring.
Spring Fever has a hormonal background that makes the body a bit confused. As the days starts to be longer from mid-March to mid-April, and the Sun rises earlier, the bodys need to get acclimatized to the new situation.
The real problem is not Spring itself,
but rather the symptoms of post-winter. In the cold season, when the days are shorter and it gets dark earlier, the human body produces melatonin, a dark-sensitive hormone, which gives us restful sleep, and a useful hormone. This goes for several months then Spring comes and then light seems to come out early in the morning, earlier every day with a few minutes. The body cannot follow this speed, it takes several weeks to lower the melatonin values.
Besides, the body starts to produce serotonin (the hormone of “happiness”) which is a light-sensitive hormone, and has the opposite effect of melatonin. As for a first few weeks, the values are not ideal and it takes time to balance these two hormones, so the body gets really confused…
which we may experience with these symptoms:
- sensitivity to weather changes
- joint pain
- wandering attention and disorganization
So it’s not a disease, if you experience these symptoms without fever or other serious problems. It’s quite normal, even if it makes you feel discomfort.
Spring Fever can also cause increased energy levels, especially with children (One more reason to let them go out to the fresh air).
How to help your body achieve balance faster?
The most common problem of Spring Fever is the sleepiness and tiredness which makes it harder for people to concentrate in work. To help the body be filled up with energy, you can do several things:
- plan a balanced diet with high protein value. Protein is energy, carbohydrates makes you feel more tired and sleepy. But sleeping more, unfortunately, is not a solution for this condition
- perform exercises which boost up blood pressure and wake your body up. Going for longer walks or putting the car keys down by walking to work is a two-in-one solution
- these two solutions can lead to losing weight which is a good idea in Spring. After the cold seasons and big festive meals, nature will help us lose surplus weight.
- drink enough water to balance your cardio system and be hydrated. You can choose green tea, too, that’s full of healthy antioxidants to eliminate free radicals
- listen to energizing music
- visit a spa for any water-based wellness service, Kneipp or other, then paired with aromatherapy
- plant some herbs on your balcony to have some real contact with nature
One thing is sure: don’t let your body drive you. With these tips, you can defeat Spring Fever in a few days!